New chance to give blood
Wellmont Health System and Marsh Regional Blood Center will conduct public blood drives in the coming days. In a press release, the hospital says as many as three lives may be saved each time a person donates blood. They say an individual's blood donation to Marsh Regional stays local to help people in this region. Marsh Regional supplies blood to 22 healthcare facilities in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Donors with an O-negative blood type are particularly welcome, as their blood can be used for any patient.
To donate blood, individuals must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more and be in good health. People with a cold, sore throat, fever, flu or fever blisters or who are taking antibiotics may not donate. Donors should eat a balanced meal before giving blood.
These are the scheduled blood drives:
· Monday, March 25, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Council High School, Honaker, Va.
· Monday, March 25, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., St. John's Episcopal Church, Johnson City
· Monday, March 25, noon-4:30 p.m., Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, Va.
· Tuesday, March 26, 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Central High School, Wise, Va.
· Wednesday, March 27, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Northeast State Community College, Blountville
· Wednesday, March 27, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Northeast State Community College, Elizabethton
· Wednesday, March 27, noon-4 p.m., Northeast State Community College, Kingsport
· Thursday, March 28, 7-10 a.m., Virginia Department of Transportation, Bristol, Va.
· Thursday, March 28, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Tennessee Technology Center at Elizabethton, Elizabethton
· Thursday, March 28, noon-7:30 p.m., Holston Valley Medical Center, Kingsport
· Friday, March 29, 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Holston Valley Medical Center, Kingsport
In addition to the scheduled blood drives, donors are welcome at any of Marsh Regional's collection centers: 102 E. Ravine Road, Kingsport; 1996 W. State St., Bristol; and 1 Professional Park Blvd., Suite 14, Johnson City.
For more information about scheduling a blood drive visit www.marshblood.com.
Copyright 2013 by WCYB All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.