Boy burned after Blackberry bursts into flames
Updated On: Dec 05 2012 11:46:54 PM CST
An 11-year-old British boy suffered serious burns after his brother's Blackberry burst into flames.
Kian McCreath, 11, was sleeping when the Blackberry Curve 9320, which was charging, made a loud "pop" in the middle of the night and appeared to spontaneously combust, The Daily Telegraph reported.
His mother told WGN News she awoke to her son screaming about his legs being on fire.
She used his comforter to put out the flames, but Kian suffered serious burns and is now permanently scarred.
"It was just horrific," Sarah McCreath told the Telegraph. "He was in a lot of pain as his feet had pretty much been engulfed in flames. The bed was charred and the phone itself was just a blackened shell. It could have easily been much worse if he hadn't have woken up."
Kian's family is asking that the phone be recalled from stores in time for Christmas.
A spokesman for RIM, the company that owns Blackberry, said an investigation is a priority.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.