Grill brush bristle hospitalizes teen
Updated On: May 09 2013 03:08:23 PM CDT
A teen in Washington state is on the mend after swallowing a grill brush bristle during a family barbecue.
Tristan Beck, 16, told Seattle TV station KING he knew something was wrong a few days after the family's weekend dinner.
"I just remember being in school on Wednesday and just feeling like I was being stabbed in the stomach," he said from his hospital bed. "I was falling asleep in class and just not feeling good."
Turns out, the small wire brush bristle that ended up in his food perforated his intestines, requiring surgery.
Tristan's family urged people to check their grill brushes and replace them often.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put out a special warning for barbecuers to check for loose metal brush bristles here.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.