A wildlife contractor in Michigan turned to the kitchen to save the life of a choking baby.
Bill Hogenson of Ludington was working outside with his son when he heard a frantic neighbor calling 911, screaming that a baby she was watching had just turned purple, Traverse City TV station WPBN reported.
He ran upstairs, grabbed 5-month-old Nessa Shoup from the lap of a babysitter and started performing CPR.
But the baby was still struggling to breathe, so Hogenson had to try something else.
"I went into the drawer and found a turkey baster and used the turkey baster to clear her nasal passage and her airway," he told WPBN.
He patted her on the back, spun her around and saw a good sign -- a smile.
Nessa's parents, Shawn Gasciogne and Robin Shoup, told the Ludington Daily News her throat is not fully developed yet, causing her to choke occasionally.
They lauded Hogenson as a hero.
"If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have this beautiful baby here right now and we are forever grateful," Gascoigne told WPBN.
Being a parent, Hogenson said his instincts just kicked in.
"Ever since then, when I see her she gives me a smile," he said. "It kind of gives us a bond for life."