Update: Some Christmas presents salvaged after Damascus fire
Updated On: Dec 24 2013 01:36:04 PM CST
A family is safe but needs a new place to stay after a fire in southwest Virginia. The fire started on 23914 Jeb Stewart Highway around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Damascus Fire Chief Ben Sanders says his department was on scene for three hours putting out the fire. Sanders said the fire started in a chimney and spread to the attic. The chimney had cracks that may have contributed to the fire.
Chief Sanders told News 5 the house is a total loss. The family was able to save some Christmas presents. The Red Cross is helping the three adults living at the house with temporary shelter and food.
Copyright © 2014 by WCYB. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.