Blountville
64° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Greeneville
64° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Abingdon
65° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Inspector: Motel's faulty pool heater installed without town's inspection

Published On: Jun 18 2013 11:28:05 AM CDT
Updated On: Jun 18 2013 04:47:08 PM CDT
NC hotel deaths

WCNC

BOONE, N.C. -

A Boone inspector says a motel pool heater that leaked carbon monoxide and killed a Washington state couple and later a South Carolina boy was installed without the knowledge of the town's inspection department.

Todd Miller with the Boone Planning and Inspections Department says the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza never told the city about the new heater. Miller says the motel did not apply for a required permit for the change.

Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning killed 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins of Longview, Wash., on April 16. They were staying in a room directly over the pool's maintenance room.

Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room June 8.

An attorney for the motel did not respond to a message.