Blountville
55° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Greeneville
55° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Abingdon
56° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Investigators discover cause of hotel carbon monoxide leak

Published On: Jun 12 2013 10:00:34 PM CDT
Updated On: Jun 12 2013 12:18:53 PM CDT
BOONE, N.C. -

Contractors with the North Carolina Board of Examiners joined the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Boone Police Wednesday in the investigation into the cause of a carbon monoxide leak in the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza on East King Street in Boone.

Boone Police say several tests pointed to the water heater below room 225 as the source of the poisonous gas. They say the exhaust system for the pool water heater was deficient.

They believe the deadly gas seeped into the room through the air conditioning unit and an opening underneath the gas fireplace unit.

Carbon monoxide is being blamed for the death of an 11-year-old South Carolina boy on Saturday, as well as the deaths of a Washington couple two months ago.

Police say the investigation will continue until they have more definitive answers.

Investigators are asking anyone who stayed in room 225 at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza to give them a call. The number for Boone Police is 828-268-6900.