Blountville
82° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Greeneville
82° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Abingdon
75° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Restaurant evacuated after chemical scare

Published On: Aug 03 2013 11:54:18 PM EDT   Updated On: Aug 03 2013 03:56:21 PM EDT
ALCOA, Tenn. -

A hazmat scare at a restaurant near Knoxville had 17 people recovering in the hospital on the evening of August 2.

The Texas Roadhouse in Alcoa, Tennessee was evacuated that Friday night because of a chemical smell that filled the restaurant. 

Those taken to area hospitals were treated for eye irritations and respiratory problems.

Authorities said no serious injuries were reported. We're told the fumes were caused when an employee accidentally mixed bleach and cleaning chemicals.

The restaurant reopened on Saturday night.